The Theatre of the Lost Souls
The Theatre of the Lost Souls:
The Virginia Theatre was built 100 years ago by a fan of picture films. It’s modern equipment and elaborate scale seemed out of place in a small town like Shelley, but it never seemed out of place to the community. Many people remember seeing older movies there with friends and working there. But the theatre still has a long and mysterious history, and has gone through many different owners over the century. One of these owners includes a bearded man who used to house venomous snakes and spiders in it before he mysteriously vanished. In the 1990’s the theatre was closed due to construction hazards, but was renovated and reopened to show community plays and host events. During the Halloween season it hosts our very own “The Theatre of the Lost Souls!” The perfect setting for a Haunted Attraction; the theater still has a lot of it’s original housing such as the old stage and molding, the lightbox room and even the old coal furnaces under the stage.
Its old age is not all that makes this theater creepy, there are plenty of local stories that leave people convinced it is ACTUALLY haunted. Not too far into running our attraction, our volunteers, friends and even some guests started reporting their ghostly sightings. There have been sightings of dark shadows, a little girl in white, a tall man with a beard, and an old lady sitting in an auditorium chair. People have also reported hearing strange whispers, and crashes and seeing bright orbs caught on film. Do you dare visit amongst all these other ghostly visitors?
The Hospital of the Lost Souls:
Anyone who’s ever lived in the town of Shelley knows there’s an old building on State St with the words “Hospital” still visible at the top. The building was built in 1903 and has played several roles in the community such as, restaurant, club, and room and board, but perhaps the greatest mystery is when it was a hospital from 1909 to 1926. Few people around today can remember any patient stories from the old hospital, but It still shows many signs of once being one.
It has the old dumb waiter, an old, creaky hospital ward with a hallway full of rooms and floral wallpaper. The musty, dark basement was heated by a coal furnace with very little light to guide the workers. And perhaps the eeriest of all, is the old surgical room upstairs with it’s sink still standing.
The building still stands strong after surviving a fire, vandalism, weather, and time. In 2016, it was purchased and renovated by “Lost Souls Attractions” right at the 10 year anniversary mark of “The Theatre of the Lost Souls.” The team is working hard and long to bring to you -yet another- of the scariest haunted attractions in East Idaho, “The Hospital of the Lost Souls!”